This location is classed as SeasideView external link
The sand and shingle cove of Cwm yr Eglwys is located on the eastern side of the Dinas Island peninsula near Newport. To the back of the beach is a high protective stone wall. This was probably built in response to the enormous 1859 storm which washed away most of the village's 12th century chapel. All that remains of the church now is the end wall with its bell tower. Cwm yr Eglwys is popular for boating and watersports enthusiasts because of the slipway and local boat club. It is ideal as the east facing location is very sheltered. It is also a hit with younger visitors who will enjoy the little stream and abundant rockpools.