This location is classed as SeasideView external link
The town of Cromarty on the Black Isle is thought by many to be the best-preserved historic town in the Highlands and makes a good base for touring the Western Highlands. It has a number of beautifully restored 18th century buildings, an award-winning museum and a choice of shops and places to eat. There is a working harbor from which boat trips run in the summer months. At the end of George Street stands a whitewashed lighthouse, built in 1846 and decommissioned in 2006. Cromarty beach itself sits at the mouth of the Firth of Cromarty and is a mixture of sand and shingle. Limited parking is available along the seafront and a public footpath runs east along the beach towards some cliffs. These cliffs are where the 19th century geologist, Hugh Miller found a collection of extremely rare fossil fish. Specimens from his collection can now be seen in the museum. Today the cliffs have been designated a Special Site of Scientific Interest, and hammering the bedrock is strictly forbidden. The surrounding area is popular with salmon fishers, sea anglers and walkers. Look out for a variety of birdlife, including red kite, swallows and even the occasional bottlenose dolphin.